Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

12/20/11

YMCA Hostel Basel (Switzerland)

-
When I passed through Switzerland earlier this month I stayed at the YMCA in Basel because my friends were out of town. I like visiting Basel. It's a nice Swiss city that's very much bustling with fine arts cultural stuff, shopping, and borders with Germany and France. It's easy to navigate around town on the tram.
Oddly, it doesn't have the iconic big, red Y on the rooftop
As for the hostel: 
reaching it from the main train station SBB is thankfully easy because it is so damn near. Oddly, it doesn't have the iconic big, red Y on the rooftop...which, I think, is like a beacon to newcomers. Still the YMCA Basel is a straight shot from the back entrance of the train station; entire walk amounts to probably three normal blocks. I booked a bed on a walk-in.
"Do you have a reservation?" asked the boy behind the counter. "No," I replied, "but I have money." He smiled, "Oh I think that will do." I paid for two nights. Another good thing to come of my first night was finding a leather jacket on the street...especially since the weather was nippy.




The hostel is nothing short of modern and looks spanking new. Maybe it is. The place is not decked out with funky colors, garage furniture, kitch knick-knacks nailed to the walls or other backpacker/hippy/earthy rubbish. Instead the modern facilities are clean, bright, sleek, airy...nothing that feels like home or a home basement. And it's quiet. And I liked that. In the commons area/dining hall are plenty of tables and chairs and a working fireplace! Plus there are two fast public computers. Their kitchen is one of the best I've seen. It's big and plenty stocked with eating and cooking utensils along with about four refrigerators, two sinks and a microwave.
the modern facilities are clean, bright, sleek, airy...nothing that feels like a home basement
I took the elevator to my third floor dorm. The personal reading lights were too bright to be personal but everything else - mattress and bedding, individual lockers, radiator - worked fine. Would have had a nice sleep were it not for the two old geezers in the room snoring. I hate people who snore. 


website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive