Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

12/11/11

I stayed in two hostels in Munich

-
Btw I stayed in the following hostels in Munich:


Wombat City Hostel. After being harassed by the undercover pigs in the main train station I urgently tried to find some vacancy somewhere. Bought a crisp, crunchy apple pie at McDonald's to 'legitimately' use the free wi-fi  (because I couldn't get online at Burger King in the station) and made a list of nearby hostels. Quickly jotted down four, including this one.


Wombat IS super close to Munich Hbf - literally across the street - but it's poorly advertised. The outside banners don't do a good enough job of announcing Here we are! BUT there was one - one! - bed left and I was damn relieved to get it. Not bad for a near midnight walk-in. The reception was super chill and got me squared away right away. Guests receive a free beverage with check-in. I made it in just before the bar closed -- and did I ever need a drink! 
The dorm room was big and comfortable. Had a good night's sleep and checked-out the following morning whereby I walked two doors down to...


Euro Youth Hotel.  It was a very no-hassle check-in. A dorm bed was available, I paid cash, got my receipt and came back four hours later when the rooms were cleaned and ready - 2pm - (in the meantime I went back and chilled in a hammock in the Wombat's cool indoor garden lounge). 


This hotel/hostel has a nice old-school decor - wooden banisters and wood paneled walls - which I find charming and free of the 'fabricated' feel of some backpacker or economy hotels. There is free tea in the lounge. Wi-fi gets good reception...but phone calls don't.

When I returned later that evening and headed for the bar/lounge I was stopped by, "HEY WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING?!" I didn't like this kind of reception from the Reception and wrote a letter to the management. Granted, there was an employee shift change and these guys didn't recognize me as a new guest but I felt the aggressiveness of their tone was 1) rude and 2) carried an undercurrent of my-kind-didn't-belong-there. The management emailed a sincere and prompt apology and promised to address the matter.  I appreciate that.  After the racial profiling at the main train station this whole thing of being a black American in Munich had well reached its limit. As a matter of principle I personally wouldn't elect to stay in Euro Youth Hotel again - because I wouldn't like to revisit Munich outside of business - but its facilities were fine, modern, and clean and affordable. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive