Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

9/7/11

Tripup LA

-

Last month's Tripup LA, organized by Triptrotting.com, was a new one on me and I had a really good time. Thanks to the explosion of Internet social sites I've been put off by the automation of "networking" and, more deservedly of quotation marks, "friends" and I just don't dig these meet-and-greet functions. My impression is that everyone is a walking CV and none too subtle about it. Grace, dear one: Never leave home without it (and enough bus fare to get back).
The finger food spread of gourmet fries and burgers and cheese plates was cool - and spot on! - and who can complain about free wine?
Heard about Tripup LA via a post on Couchsurfing.com. It sounded too awesome to be real and I quickly clicked my RSVP. The social was held the same Sunday evening as the MTV VMA Awards Show (also in Hollywood) and at the very swank W Hotel on Hollywood Blvd. Niiiice. I wore my new double-breasted suit and cuff links and met some other engaging young people. Many foreigners and exchange students were present. The finger food spread of gourmet fries and burgers and cheese plates was cool - and spot on! - and who can complain about free wine? (Well I did; but that was only because the first glass was 80% vinegar - just my luck to start the evening off with the one bad bottle in the crate - but the rest - and I had many more glasses - were crisp delicious!)   


I also got to meet the two young ladies who started Triptrotting.com. I tip my hat to them. The party was so organized and professional and upscale you wouldn't imagine it was all brought off by two co-eds...one half expected to see a banner with a slew of sponsorships. Paid for by Pepsi, Motorola, Nike, Dell, Powerade, Axe, Diesel jeans....
I like jazz. I like Michael Jackson. This was a perfect combination!
After our outdoor wine social we headed inside the lobby, with its plush deep red carpeted stage, to enjoy a live jazz tribute to Michael Jackson. I like jazz. I like Michael Jackson. This was a perfect combination! The music wasn't all that jazz but it was good. Live musicians and dancers are always an entertaining treat. The one celebrity I spotted in attendance was Spike Lee. He really is very short...and, true to image, wore a sport jersey instead of a suit.









triptrotting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive