Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

9/11/11

Brazilian Day & Chinatown Summer Nights (L.A.)

-
Yesterday I went to L.A.'s Brazilian Day Party at the La Brea Tar Pits. Loads of loud music and dancing and everybody shaking their booties to the Samba grooves. There was a square of dance floor near the stage and plenty of dancing got done. There were also mini parades and, of course, capoeira. It was a lot of fun! The Brazilian community (and Brazilian Consulate) really organized and staged one helluva FREE celebration. (Two lucky so-and-so's won round-trip flights to Sao Paulo courtesy of Korean Air. I wasn't one of them.)

Then I followed other CouchSurfers (CSers) on to a house party  where we mingled and talked and drank and ate in a more decimal-friendly environment. It was a pot luck gathering - totally impromptu - and a really good time. I think I met more people in L.A. yesterday then all my time here put together. I don't get out much. 

Then we followed that up with a visit to Chinatown. Holy ching-chong! This was my first trip to L.A.'s Chinatown. The DJ was smoking! With an even bigger dance floor than the one at Brazil Day there was lots of people dancing and bopping around. Some actually looked Chinese but most did not. I bought a souvenir T-Shirt because the price wasn't a rip-off -- and I was feeling good. 2011 is the year of the rabbit. 
 

Although both outdoor functions were FREE and freely publicized I learned of them via couchsurfing.com so I gots to give propers to the other website members who post information about happening events. Otherwise I wouldn't have had such the hopping Saturday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive