Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

3/4/10

-
Got some things done but, on the whole, I regard it as a rather dull day.


Upon waking, some lines of rhyme came to me and my mind started to arrange them in cadence. A poem was stirring! Naturally, I swung out of bed and began writing them down (carpe diem!). Within twelve minutes my work was complete and I'd written a poem about President Obama. Not a bad start to the morning, I admit. After that I breakfasted with a bowl of cereal and coffee and went to the gym and trained for ninety minutes, and achieved a good pump. Then I returned home at one-fifteen and quickly supplemented with creatine before having a lunch of bacon and rice with a glass of milk. Not a bad midday, I admit.


A hot shower was sorely in order----exercise is nothing without good hygiene----and afterward since I was already wet I figured it was as good a time as any to mop the apartment and clean the kitchen. This worked me up a bit so, before dressing, I made a cup of tea and decided it was as good a time as any to write out a few postcards. With that done, I read a few Internet news articles and, then, finally dressed for the day.
In Mexico there are no self-service coin laundries... and hardly any such thing as customer service
A task I'd meant to satisfy for the past three months was put off no longer. Took my leather shoulder bag to a local shop to have the shoulder strap mended (try saying that seven times fast) and was privately ashamed it required all of ten minutes and only $50pesos. From there I walked to the nearby lavanderia to collect my clothes. In Mexico there are no self-service coin laundries (and hardly any such thing as customer service). In the absence of a home washing machine one must drop off his things to be serviced. At $12pesos x kilo this load cost me seventy pesos. It was now four o'clock and can you believe the woman had no change on hand?...after being open since nine in the morning?! Mexico. (Her laundering and folding skills, though, are very much intact. Some folks can work in a business and some can operate a business but not everyone is cut out for multi-tasking, I know.)


So it was back up the hill to drop off my clothes. I decided it was as good a time as any to put the clothes away so that's what I did. Then at last I headed out for real. It was now five o'clock and I was in need of a drink. A stiff one. I stopped to look at some jeans but the dressing room was occupied and, at any rate, I was thirsty so I kept on trucking. With thirty minutes to go before the close of Happy Hour I made it to the Twisted Palms and ordered my usual poison----and exhaled. Began reading The Chronicles of Narnia----again----as I sipped the martini and couldn't help but eavesdrop The Chronicles of Narnia: Full-Color Gift Edition Box Seton the indiscreet chatter of the ladies at the bar. 
Apparently, one of them had fond memories of her breasts being massaged by Jose or Juarez or one of those typical Mexican names. Not a bad afternoon, I admit.

I was almost restless for another workout but reigned in the anxiety and went straight home----discipline, discipline, discipline----and made dinner: dozen wing dings with fried onions, bolillo (a Mexian roll) and olive oil, and a XX lager and water. For dessert I had a coffee and resumed The Chronicles of Narnia. While I was cooking, the landlord's brother passed by and I paid the month's rent----and duly reminded him that I required my deposit back upon moving out.  So that's out of the way.

Not a bad evening, I admit; But, still, a slow Thursday it was. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive