Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

4/20/09

Impressed by "Impressionism"


When in NYC, my least favorite American city next to Gary, Indiana, there are only three things to do towards assauging my discontent: a) leave as quickly as possible, b) window shop, c) attend a show. Thanks to flyer hawkers along Broadway I learned that Jeremy Irons, one of my favorite actors, was co-starring with Joan Allen in Impressionism, a one-act play about selling art, interpreting art, and finding someone with whom to adore and share a park bench.

Sold! I went straight away to 45th Street and bought a ticket for the night's show. Not only did my student credential get me a cheaper price than the advertised $35 but it put me directly front and center. Front-row seating!!

The play was enjoyable although some of the dialogue sounded forced if only due to the soliloquey-y tone of the lines. Watching Mr Irons perform--and but a mere two feet away---on stage was marvelous. His voice and presentation were enchanting. And, he really loves his coffee!

Although I would never encourage any non-enemy to go to New York Shitty, attending a production, be it on Broadway or off, is a very groovy reason for visiting NYC. There are goo-gobs of movie stars [sic], scrupucious dramas and comedies, incredible theatrical talent from composers to players, and plenty of nearby nice restaurants to make an evening of dinner, entertainment, and drinks a marvelously well spent day. Plus, to my great surprise, many of the tickets can currently be had at discount prices---sans a scalper. Ain't that rich! Maybe this has something to do with the recession...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive