Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

6/26/14

Is Alitalia's FREE cancellation a scam ?



-
Alitalia's FREE ticket cancellation is bullshit. Maybe it ain't a scam but it's definitely bullshit.

On May 29th I booked an international flight through their website for a trip flown by AirFrance (as part of the Skyteam several airlines routinely assign flights on 'competing' carriers). When I learned I could not redeem my AirFrance voucher without directly booking via AirFrance I promptly took advantage of the "24-hour FREE cancellation" and cancelled the booking. How promptly? Like within ten minutes prompt!

I was told the money was "frozen" and would take upwards to 72 hours to be refunded to my account. Seventy-two hours + a day and the money was still m.i.a. This time a call to Alitalia customer service hotline - outsourced to Pakistan or India or somewhere - informed me the "frozen" funds might require another 72 hours -- or thirty days!  

My bank and MasterCard proved useless to do anything about getting my money back. MasterCard says it's ultimately up to the bank who says its hands are tied without notice from the merchant who says its hands are tied without notice from the bank.
the money was "frozen" and would take upwards to 72 hours to be refunded
After a chat with a lawyer I learned of Alitalia's out-of-court procedure to handle such disputes without, they hope, having to resort to lawsuits. After four weeks of going back and forth I obliged with a complaint to their Conciliatory Office; And will wait exactly 72 hours for a reply. 

Alitalia has already fucked up 
my summer plans.
Molto grazie for nothing! (No worries: that's why I've retained a lawyer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive