Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

11/27/12

A stitch in time...saves 40 euros

-
So I bought a funky velvet jacket to replace my stolen tuxedo suit. I found it at a second-hand shop and it fits perfectly - but hangs a tad long - but otherwise was too good to pass on.
had the entire bottom hemmed to my satisfaction and all it cost me were a few expletives 
I stopped by a tailor's in Kreuzberg to see about getting it altered shorter. Tsk, tsk, tsk, the old Italian tailor shook his head. "The pockets are too large," he explained in German, "and this material is velvet...this is a problem. It'll be a difficult job." By this he meant it would cost a pretty penny. How much? 
"Oh about 40 euros," he hazarded.

"Oh. Ja das ist ein Problem," I agreed and he laughed.

I most certainly was not about to drop that kind of money on a second-hand jacket; not because it wasn't worth it but because I'd already bought it so dirt cheap! So...I got hold of some needles and black thread and sat at the kitchen table mending it by hand. After an hour and half I had the entire bottom hemmed to my satisfaction - and pride - and all it cost me were a few expletives whilst trying to thread the damn needle! You see, stitching the suit was the easy part; it was first getting the thread through the eye of the needle that tried my patience. A stitch in time saves money mine. Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive