Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

10/18/11

Baby shoes hurt man feet (Berlin)

-
Monday's rain was just an annoying mist and drizzle. Tuesday and Wednesday was the shit. It came down in fat plops, making staying indoors feel all the more lazy cozy and wunderful. But out we went for coffee and dessert: to, at least step outside for the day and visit a cafe and, also, because I mentioned my need to go to a second-hand shop for shoes and a heavier coat.




I was couchsurfing in Wedding (pronounced: Vedding). The four of us set out - two housemates and two couchsurfer guests - and in no time I was determined to buy another pair of shoes. The ones on my feet were running shoes and very porous. My feet were getting wet just the same as if I were barefoot. We found a HUMANA store - it's like a Goodwill store - and I found a pair of Adidas for 3euros. The size read "7.5in" (I wear a 9-9.5) but was sure it would only be a matter of breaking in the shoes. At any rate, it felt good to have a pair of durable DRY footwear -- and cheap, no less. 


After two days I could take it no more. I had to get my feet free from these tiny, ungiving Adidas! Was en route to a writer's group somewhere - I forget the location now - when I turned around, got my butt back on the train, and beat it to Alexanderplatz where I knew there was a HUMANA store. This time I lucked out with a pair of rugged New Balance cross-trainers -- size 12. They cost 12euros. As for the Adidas? I donated them back to the store. 


What comes around, goes around....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive