Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

7/1/10

Greetings from Germany !!

-
This time two weeks past I was in a little funk of depression at having been denied travelling rights due to spiteful Canadian border patrol racist because I ought to have flown to Germany that day. Now, two weeks later, I am in Germany. So fuck you Quebec!
If more black men ventured the hell out of America they would see that they can be perceived as men, primarily, and black men, secondly
My passage two days ago was, as far as border patrol goes, uneventful. No twenty questions, no biased questions, no long wait while everyone else (non-dark skin like me) processed smoothly. Neither the English nor the German officials singled me out or made me feel belittled in any fashion. Honestly, I felt SOMETHING must be askew if things were progressing this flawlessly! But, no, that was just part of the conditioning of North American and Latin countries: that I must be strange because I am black. If more black men ventured the hell out of America (and overly regulatory Canada) they would see that they can be perceived as men, primarily, and black men, secondly. If only occurring in instances this "atypical" reaction is rewarding. Color-blind treatment from people outside of your color can be startling or, at the very least, it is noticeable.

I don't yet speak good German but I would rather try to live here than be bound in a country where my good English only fingers me as a trouble-maker who must be up to no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive