Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

9/9/09

Linzer torte & other goodies

-
Having read an offhand reference to Linzer torte (also spelled as one word) in a recent email I was keen to try this regional delicacy. Since I failed to go to any of the highlighted cultural attractions I wanted to leave with a Linzer experience. Plus I love sweets so it was easy to be adventurous in this regard. A slice of linzertorte was served to me with a side of whip cream (upon request). I had, at the same time, a slice of another Austrian invention---which the citizens insist means NOT GERMAN---apple strudel also served with a side of whip cream (upon request). I loves me some whip cream.

Didn't know what to expect from the Linzertorte. For some reason the taste reminded me of spiced Christmas carols. The strudel was not pocketed in the crispy, though buttery, crust I had Mcmagined, uh, I mean imagined. Delicious, the both of them. However do I keep THIS jock figure eating such tongue yummy fattening goodies---->?
Mmmm I'll never tell.


Gosser Beer (Radler):
Am not a big drinker of beer but Gosser gets high marks from my taste buds. The Austrains have this concoction of lemonade and beer---not making this up---called Radler which has something to do with a bicycle rider.

In the olden days drinking and driving pertained to, well, riding and to keep within the law bicyclists---those cavalier road warriors!---diluted their beers with the ever wholesome lemonade drink thereby transforming it from an evil alcoholic intoxicant into a nice refreshing beverage. Oh brother! Anywho, the drink/drinker association stuck and now whenever I'm near the Austrian land I'll make sure to enjoy a radler (made with Gosser Beer) because I like the lemony sweetness that comes from Gosser.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive