Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

4/16/14

What Boston Marathon bombing?

-
A year since the Boston Marathon bombing?
Wow, really? It does not feel like 365 days have gone by. When the bombing happened I was on the other side of the nation in Los Angeles. In fact, I was walking around Hollywood. As I passed the open door of one or two bars I caught that the televisions were broadcasting BREAKING NEWS having something to do with Boston. It didn't seem to be a big deal, though...there was no cluster of people riveted to the newscast. The ticker tape on the CNN building on Sunset Blvd also left much to be known. 

Maybe, I figured, a Kennedy died

Some time later back at the hostel I learned what all the excitement was about; only, I have to admit, there was no excitement in the overly large city on the West coast. Not one person did I overhear chatting about the terrible finale of the race. There were no exclamations of "Oh my God!" "Can you believe it!" or "Another terrorist attack" The folks in L.A. were blissfully unaware (or desensitized, but that seems sadly cynical even for dog-eat-dog L.A.)
As the manhunt took weight so, too, were people's attention arrested. Or, at least, coverage of it dominated the news shows and blogosphere. That's one thing news networks and Hollywood have in common: If the show draws an audience, they'll just keep banging away at it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive