Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

9/27/10

No 100watt bulbs in Berlin

-
I think the German authorities have something against high wattage light bulbs. I cannot find any store in Berlin which sells any household light bulb above 60 watts. What the ?! No wonder so many Germans are bespectacled. 

And another thing I've noticed with German-speaking  'volk': they don't often beg pardon after bumping into you or stepping on your foot. 
Lucky for her I don't know how to say bitch in German

All language courses instruct non-German speakers to us "entschuldigen Sie" (excuse me). What the courses never mention is how rarely used is this basic expression. A woman, with a scowling, scrunched up face, stepped too close to me on the bus today and I had to shout at her, Entschuldigen Sie. Lucky for her I don't know how to say bitch in German. Hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive