Translation for 140 languages by ALS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail.
Explore. Dream. Discover
.
---Mark Twain

3/9/10

Striking a pose IV (in abstentia)

-
I was on the other side of the drawing pad today. I was not scheduled to model and, so, on a lark, decided to test my sketching chops by sitting in to draw. I don't draw any more (used to as a child) and was only equipped with a spiral notebook and ink pens. (Not counting golf, I haven't used a pencil since the second grade...even for math classes I insisted on using ink.)


So there I was trying to draw this female model before us and not, I admit, doing a very good job of it. As a doodle it looks great because doodles are expected to be somewhat funny or quizzical and close-but-no-cigar. Since am no longer an artist I feel no shortcomings from my efforts this evening. The other artists in the group were spot-on. I loved watching them adapt the model's ten-minute pose onto their canvases with such realism. A couple of them even made the subject look better than she actually does.
When she disrobed I soon lost interest in even bothering to draw her
I'd like to say I was distracted by the woman's nudity, which is the truth; but not in the flattering sense. When she disrobed I soon lost interest in even bothering to draw her. In fact, I turned to playing with my cell phone. My body is more refined and my poses are more evocative or engaging for the artist because I think like an artist although I am on the other immobile side of the medium; in short, I judged the female model through the eyes of another model and concluded thus:  I am a more interesting subject than was she tonight. If it were possible I would rather draw me than her. Unfortunately I am a much better model than artist so a sketch of me by me would probably be untruthfully frightful. I admit: I am not a good artist. But, yes, she was not a great model either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive